Thursday, June 6, 2013

A Thursday play-by-play.

The day started pretty well. Got up a bit later than the usual to catch up on some sleeping and to abuse my comfortable bed. Had a quick shower and went down for breakfast.

Saw the usual hotel and restaurant personnel and of course they have greeted me with their warmest smile. Had my usual tomato-bell pepper-onion-smothered-with ketchup omelette, chicken breast, cucumber, cashew nuts, dried apricot and tea. We had a good dessert: cute foreign guys whose nationality we can identify.

We headed to the lobby of the hotel and asked for our car service. It was a quick travel - 5 to 10 minutes tops. Then started our day at work. 

Did not know it would be too busy considering we had already transferred all the processes to our Mumbai colleagues. But it was. At least for me. Had several issues with my book - mainly because of dividends season and of the incorrect work done by one of our colleague which had affected my book. I was able to manage it. I was very proactive. I was quick in thinking of solution. An added bonus was while reporting my work to my trader, we had a little chat which was quite non-work related. The trader I spoke with is not usually the trader I get to deal with everyday. I spoke with the head trader of the business. I was a bit terrified because I had to do the call on speaker phone as I was doing it with my trainee. I did not want the whole floor to hear that my trader is snarling at me because the last time I spoke to him, it wasn't that good. But I understood then that he was very busy and all of his traders are not yet in the office and he had to do all the work (AND HE IS THE FREAKING HEAD OF THE BUSINESS!). He chatted me about him and the other trader (which i usually spoke with) - that they have been doing the business for 20 years now. He even gave me the date: August 1993. Told him I was just about to turn 3 years old then. It was a quick chat but I have always appreciate such conversations especially with stakeholders who are usually perceived to be uptight and does not know life beyond work. 

On top of doing my main book, I also had to do another book and train it for a cover plan. My colleague could do it but I volunteered so I get to be refreshed on the concepts and strategies of the book. I reviewed it again and was able to teach it to one Mumbai colleague. I was blabbering about warrants, index, European down/up out options, FX, delta, etc. Feels so good! There were items which I told her that I'm honestly not very familiar of but promised her to get back on that so she will have a good background of what is expected on the book.

I really felt very fulfilled. I know to myself that I am not the smartest person but as I always say, I am an average person defying her limits.  

During the day, I even had a time to go down and have a break, which we usually don't have for the reason that we eat buffet for breakfast and dinner and we do not really like the food at their canteen (but we haven't gone there yet but we heard it's all Indian food). I had McEgg meal (Mcdo is a 5 minute walk from the office). It was good! I hope we can have that in the Philippines too! 

I also did the call today - my last validation and control call with Finance in Mumbai. It was quick also and managed it despite the delays.

Second to the last day at the office ended. Went down and waited for our car service. We also had delays on that as we asked for a 7pm pick up but the car was not there and it was already 7:30. It was still okay as I was finally reunited with my iPhone internet and did some browsing.

Arrived at the hotel and grabbed our dinner. Had 6 steamed chicken dumplings (to which I told the cook not to judge me while he was watching me get some), some stir fried noodles, grilled chicken, melon and tea. The chef during breakfast was still there and he told me that he already asked the bakery to bake some double chocolate chip muffin for me. He even said he asked for 4; 2 for dine in and 2 for to-go. Such a sweet and thoughtful chef. He also brings me a bowl of cashew nuts every morning when he learned that I bring it to work for lunch. 

Full and satisfied, we went to our room. Had a chat with my boyfriend and we were too cheesy, mostly because of the distance that we have had for our first month of being together. FORGIVABLE. I was literally colon capital D. Such a joy to read all the things he has to say. It warms my heart in so many ways.

After our chat, I had to let him go and let him do his reading. So I decided to soak in my tub. Closed my eyes. Thought of nothing. It was rejuvenating. Took a shower. Dressed up, dried my hair and put some lotion. Prepared my hot tea and now, blogging. 

I have never felt this way before. So relaxed after a long and fulfilling day. It was so great that I had to post a play-by-play blog!

~
Maximize each day. Balance it with work and play. If you make time, you will find time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment